We’re speaking with Fr. Steven Reuter for the culmination on our study of Liberalism, by seeing how it’s completely impossible for a Catholic to be a Liberal, and a Liberal to be a Catholic. Yes, there are “Liberal Catholics” but can they truly say they are Catholics, in the full sense of the word?
This week, we’ll learn more about liberalism, through the eyes of one of the great pontiffs of the last two centuries, Pope Leo XIII, and his condemnation of Liberalism in his encyclical “Libertas”.
This week, we’re welcoming Fr. Steven Reuter, who is the Prior of St. Dennis in Calgary. He’ll be our guide for the next few episodes as we dive into the errors of Liberalism, which is something that has infected everyone living today, and even those living in the early twentieth century, including Archbishop Lefebvre.
This week, we’ll continue with Father Alexander Wiseman, looking at the remote background of the Crisis in more detail, exploring the philosophies of Immanuel Kant, and René Descartes, as well as their errors. Father will discuss how these ideas from some centuries ago have not only influenced the church, but have laid the groundwork for nearly all of our thinking today.
We’ll start in the 1300’s with Nominalism, and then move on to the errors of Martin Luther, how those two topics are connected, and what the response of the Church was at that time.
In Episode 1, we’ll look at specific ways, and distinct symptoms of this crisis that is the greatest challenge the Catholic Church has ever faced.
- Notes from Episode 24: New Mass, Proclaiming a New Theology
- Notes from Episode 23: An Ecumenical Rite
- Notes from Episode 22: Post-Conciliar Reforms
- Notes from Episode 19-21: The Course of the Council
- Notes from Episode 18: The Secret Work that would Take Over the Council
- Notes from Episode 17: How Vatican II Started Out – Pretty Great!
- Notes from Episode 16: The New Theology & “Seeking the Mystery of Christ”
- Notes from Episode 15: Change is Always Good – Existentialism
- Notes from Episode 14: Why Freedom & Equality Aren’t Catholic
- Notes from Episode 13: Modernist Popes in Their Own Words
- Notes from Episodes 11-12: Modernism
- Notes from Episode 10: Modernist Infiltration – The Beginnings
- No Notes from Episode 9
- Notes from Episodes 7 & 8: Americanism
- Notes from Episode 6: Liberal Catholics Don’t Exist
- Notes from Episode 5: What is Liberalism?
- Notes from Episode 4: Liberalism’s Errors
- Notes from Episode 3: Origins – Descartes and Kant
- Notes from Episode 2: Origins – Nominalism and Luther
- Notes from Episode 1: Is There a Crisis?